Saturday, February 13, 2010

Bittersweet Serenity


Every year I get my DVD collection of Firefly and Serenity and watch the whole saga. Today was that day. And as always it was a bittersweet experience for me. I love everything about this series from the haunting melody of the theme to the "Grrr, Arrgh" at the end. Its safe to say its my favorite TV show of all time. And as much as I enjoy watching it, I also get mad when I think of its too short life. When I think of all the crap that gets renewed season after season- ah there I go again. 


 I suppose all fans feel that way. I'm sure there are "Model Latina" fans out there campaigning for a new season who could care less for Captain Mal and his crew.
I can at least take comfort in the fact that I have the DVD set and the movie to console me (There are fans of the High Chaparral and Thundarr the Barbarian who don't even have that).

11 comments:

  1. When is Thundarr coming to DVD? I'vwe only just discovered the show (wrong age and continent to get it 'first time round') and really need to see more episodes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nerve touched, pain shared.

    If the cause of cancellation is true, even sadder.
    (Reminds me of the book "Alien Art" by Gordon R Dickson, they wouldn't know it if they saw it.)
    =

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's to Firefly and Serenity. THE best sci-fi show of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fox has always treated Joss Whedon like crap and this is the most painful casualty of his contractual servitude to them.

    Fox can suck it on the way to Hell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What I feel deprived of is all the missed potential of Firefly the network pissed away. I also angers me that they canceled Firefly and keep all the crap they continue to show on the great unblinking eye.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *sigh* what an awesome show. They never gave it a chance. Pure awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would you believe I've not seen more than 10 minutes of a Firefly episode? It's literally NEXT on the Netflix list, that is, if the wife will ever watch the movie we've had sitting on the coffee table for 3 weeks. (No, I'm not bitter!)

    Reis over at Geek Orthodox recently discovered FireflySeems like there's a big Firefly surge going on lately.

    Here's hoping we can send the movie back and get disk 1!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must admit that my addiction to Firefly has faded a bit lately.

    Probably just means it's been too long since I watched the DVD's!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tim- I've heard nothing on Thundarr, but there seems to be hope. Tales from the Gold Monkey has finally been released.

    David- That is precisely why I watch Firefly only once a year. I don't ever want to get tired of it. I'm weird that way. I've read every David Gemmell novel except his last one, just so I'll always have one more Gemmell story to read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still retain hope for a new Firefly miniseries or TV movie... something. I know it won't happen, but if I give up that hope I give up hope for television (besides Supernatural, which I also love).

    -=Grim=-

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now I'm going to have to get my DVD set out. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete