Tuesday, September 13, 2005

2E Gamer in a 3E world




The Dragon and Dungeon magazines have been a staple with me for as long as I’ve been gaming. I’ve been with them through three editions of the game and a couple dozen editors. One thing I find amusing is how folks state that because the magazine doesn’t support their pet version of the game (i.e. 1st, 2nd, or 3rd edition) they no longer find it relevant to them. I'm a die-hard 2nd edition player and I find useful content in just about every issue. Yeah, maybe the mechanics need a bit of tweaking to conform to your mode of play, but to me the importance is in the article itself, the topic, not the statistics. An article on running a Pirate campaign is just as useful to me whether its written for the Eberron setting in 3rd edition or the Spelljammer setting in 2nd edition. I think people who make the argument that the magazine is useless to them because their edition is no longer represented are just lazy. This whole game is based upon imagination and I find it funny that many of its players cant get past the mechanics of a system and see the usefulness of the articles as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment