Tuesday, February 12, 2008


I finally finished the Broadsword expansion. If it all survives the Editors pen this is what’s included:
• A bunch of new advantages.
• A bestiary of common animals as well as creatures of myth and legend.
• A color map and gazetteer of “The World of Broadsword”
• An adventure called The River Pirates of the Belsa.

The 1PG system provides a lot of different cinematic genres to adventure in, but they never got around to releasing a general list of critters for characters to fight. Personally I hate number crunching so I took to the bestiary like a kid eating lima beans, but it had to be done.
I was much more at home writing up the gazetteer. I recall many a day on the bus to and from work, having a great time reading the various write ups for the nations of Oerth and Toril. For Broadsword I wrote capsules of information on the different nations and places of interest. I tried to give each place a personality and a hook for adventuring. I mentioned in an earlier Blog post that I took a tip from a marketing class in college and used the S.W.O.T analysis method (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats) and applied it to each nation entry, I think overall it was a good fit. As I finished each nation I began to see patterns and conflicts arising amongst the various lands, I took that as a sign that I was on the right path.
The final challenge was writing up an adventure. Normally 1PG products come with several “mini” or “Side trek” style adventures. I started out that way but soon found the adventure writing itself. So I decided to just go with it. The adventure is called “The River Pirates of the Belsa”. Here’s how I described it on the Deep7 message board:

River Pirates of the Belsa
the PC's are hired by a wealthy businessman to apprehend the brigand responsible for his son's death. The quarry though is no mere footpad. He is the River Pirate "Joubert" scourge of the Belsa River, who leads a band of one hundred cutthroats, outlaws, and thieves, and lives in a hidden fortress deep in the Great Forest.
The heroes must travel into the Great Forest, avoid the beasts and wild tribesmen that call it home, find this elusive brigand and bring him to justice.
Piece of cake.


The more I wrote, the more it became clear to me that the adventure, and the gazetteer for that matter, could be used for just about any game system. There isn’t any reason this couldn’t be played with D20, Fudge, GURPS, HERO or any other system. I’m hoping the reviewers see that possibility as well. So now it’s in the hands of the folks at Heyoka.

I want to give a special shout out to Tim, Troy, Gabe, Conan, and Marc for their “Peer Review” of my efforts. Just when I thought I was done, you guys showed me I wasn’t. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment