Saturday, January 17, 2009

Rhino-man- Yea or Nay?

the other day I was at the mall with “She who must be obeyed” While she went to Ross I stopped into a little Mom and Pop toy store that has managed to survive in the world of Toys R Us and Wal Mart. they specialize in the less commercial toys. This is the kind of place you go to to find and Ant farm or a wooden train set. the kind of toys that kids would balk at today. I could just imagine the outrage of my minions if we stuffed their Christmas stockings with bags of marbles, spinning tops, and wooden farm animals.

Anyway, I saw a marvelous display of a fantasy castle with a large collection of nicely painted plastic figures. castlepapo The figures were sold individually and while the paint and quality were top-notch, they were just a bit pricey for me ( was more of an Airfix HO scale army men guy myself).

airfix romans

But what really caught my eye though was this figure-

Rhino man

This lil guy looked awesome. He reminded me of the Spell Jammer Giff characters, but much cooler. A Rhino-man. A rhino-man with a big Fricken axe! I have to put you somewhere… Not on Erisa (it’s a bit too high fantasy for that setting). But on Hador he might fit right in. I already have a race of Lion-centaurs, and I’m toying with a place that has an H.G.Wells “Island of Dr. Moreau” / David Gemmell “Joinings” vibe. so why not go balls out and throw in

Rhino-men? I think they look cool. But as I have stated before the “Rule of cool” is a thin line. Does Rhino-man cross into silly? or does he have a place on Hador?

What do you think?

By the way, their Lion-man is pretty swift looking too.

85363