Tuesday, August 31, 2010

DC Adventures - Have I finally found a DC Heroes RPG I understand?

DCHeros
This Thursday I have back surgery scheduled, so what better time to elicit a bit of sympathy from “She who must be obeyed”?  I convinced her that I NEED something to read at the hospital during my overnight stay, and that none of the 350,000 unread books in my personal library would do. So we went to my Friendly Neighborhood Game Store and picked up the brand spankin’ new DC Adventures Hero’s Handbook. 
Huzzah!
Truth be told this isn't the first try at a DC flavored RPG. Back in the late 20th century a company called Mayfair games came out with one. It looked real nice too. I bought it as the manager in the store was unpacking them. I opened it up in the car. I read through it on the way home. I tried to create a character at the dinner table. My buddy and I tried to run the character through a scenario. Later that night I put the game in my closet and never spoke of it again. 
I don't know whether it was the game or me. I never asked, I was too ashamed. I think it had something to do with algebra, I’m not sure. Math was never my strong suit.
I’ve played Mutants & Masterminds before and enjoyed it a lot, so I think I’ll be able to wrap my head around it this time.
Wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. I played that DC universe game from Mayfair. I remember running my through a number of adventures in that game. I think it was fun since we played multiple times. That is about all I remember though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that the Mayfair game had a logorythmic scale so that they could fit robin and superman on the same table.

    For a test of math skills there was always champions which dealt with a lot of fractions.

    I'm fond of my champions day if only for it was the one time I was a naked power player. I'll still remember the time where I was asked to define a common thing that would stop my wazoo power from working and I said "Not being my arch nemesis."

    Lazarus Lupin
    http://strangespanner.blogspot.com/
    art and review

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wasn't just you, man. I took a stab at playing Mayfair DC heroes a few times in college, but never grokked that wack AP scale. The logarithmic increases from one point to the next never felt natural, for lack of a better word.

    ReplyDelete