Friday, July 06, 2007

Wow Movies Part II




Braveheart-1995
I had watched a ton of war movies up to the point when I sat in the theater watching Braveheart for the first time. But I had never, NEVER seen melee combat that looked so damn realistic. There is one part where Wallace just *CHUNKS* a pick into some guys head. My buddy and I stayed in the theater and watched it again just for the battles.

The Last of the Mohicans-1992
Another movie with some kick butt fight scenes. But as a gamer what “Wowed” me were the characters of Hawkeye, Uncas, and Chingachgook. From the way they tracked, moved through the wooded hillsides, fought (Hawkeye used a tomahawk in one hand and a hunting knife in the other) these guys were the epitome of what a Ranger in AD&D should be.

Glengarry Glen Ross-1992
Alec Baldwin’s Motivational speech.

Blade Runner-1982 (is it really that old?)
The cityscape shots from the movie Blade Runner make it into my “Wow” book. Unfortunately this moment may be lost to many of you, because unless you are able to see Blade Runner on the big screen you just won’t feel it. The movie does make its way to “art house” movie theaters from time to time. You might get lucky.


Reservoir dogs-1992
Reservoir Dogs is another movie that I applied to gaming. This flick should be required viewing for every gamer that wants to come in your campaign and ruin it by trying to play an evil character. A skill that few gamers can do competently.
All the Evil alignments are represented.
Lawful Evil- Mr. White
Neutral Evil- Mr. Pink
Chaotic Evil- Mr. Blonde
If you allow Mr. Blonde in you campaign, its your own damn fault.


And finally for this round: three great charges.

Gettysburg-1993
Wow moment-The rendition of Lawrence’s…er, uh… Colonel Chamberlain’s defense and subsequent charge on little round top.

The Lighthorsemen-1987
When they charged the wells at Beersheba. Totally kick ass.

Wind & Lion-1975
The climax battle, where the Berbers charge the Sultans “Advisors”.

“The world will never love us. They respect us - they might even grow to fear us. But they will never love us, for we have too much audacity! And, we're a bit blind and reckless at times too.”
Teddy Roosevelt- the Wind & the Lion


More later...

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:43 PM

    I like both editions of blade runner. The theatrical edition with Harrison Ford doing narration is my favorite. I wish I could find that on DVD. Legend was released with both the theatrical and directors cut... why oh why not Blade Runner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blade runner is my favorite movie. I loved this movie the first time I saw it. I only wish I could have seen it on the big screen.

    Batty: I've done... questionable things.
    Tyrell: Also extraordinary things. Revel in your time.
    Batty: Nothing the god of biomechanics wouldn't let you in heaven for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Later this year (the 25th anniversary), Ridley Scott is due to release his 'definitive' edit of Blade Runner on DVD. At the same time there's gonna be a collector's box set with all the different cuts of the film.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:09 AM

    Gah! Somebody pinch me!

    ReplyDelete