Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A Christmas classic-Island style

I spent several years in Hawaii. Christmas in Hawaii is very special holiday. They don’t have the blustery weather and the snow men, so they give it a twist of their own and go all out in their special Island way.
A place that is already one of the friendliest places around becomes even more friendly. 

One of my most memorable experiences was hearing a local musician by the name of Willie K. perform his rendition of “Oh holy night”.  his performance blew me away. the passion in his voice, the power of his words, the beautiful translation in Hawaiian, the whole experience moved me to tears. Willie K’s rendition of Oh Holy night became my favorite Christmas song of all, and every time I hear it I’m back in the islands, if just for a few minutes.

 

PO HEMOLELE! KE OLI NO NEI NA HOKU,
IA PO I HANAU AI KA HOOLA:
LOA KE AO MENA HEWA NA LUULUU,
KA WA IHO EA MAI, A OLU KA UHANE.
HAUOLI E NA LUHI MANAOLANA, POHA, NU HOU KA WENA O KA LA.
PELU NA KULI, HOOLOHE INA LEO ANELA,
KA PO KAMAHAO, I HANAU AI O KRISTO,
KA PO KAMAHAO, KA PO KAMAHAO.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this! Beautiful!

    Have a great Christmas :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the best Hawaii Christmas songs ever! You know it's the Holidays when you hear this on the radio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:35 AM

    That was great! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete