Thursday, May 14, 2009

Gabriel Hunt


Well, I'm Reading the first Gabriel Hunt book. I'm really sorry to say I'm not particularly wowed by it so far. My first major disappointment with the book is when I found out several pages in that it's set in the modern world. I had mistakenly assumed that the series would be taking place in the 1930's or maybe even the post WWII era. The only thing that is even remotely "pulpy" is the fact that the hero uses a .45 revolver. Other than that it reads like a contemporary adventure story Ala James Rollins or Matthew Reilly. Maybe it will grow on me in the upcoming chapters but right now I'm just not feeling it.

4 comments:

  1. I went into the book knowing it was set in modern times, so that wasn't an issue for me.

    I am currently on Chapter 20, and I am loving it. Yes, it is in modern times and does feel a little bit like James Rollins, but man, it also feels like Indiana Jones. The characters and situations Hunt finds him in are more reminiscent of a 30s serial than Rollins' stuff. In his stuff the technology and politics of the time are an integral part of the story. In Well of Eternity, it is more window dressing and vague backdrop to the action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it works for you. maybe when I get further along it will be the same for me. I really do want to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:08 PM

    It has GOT to be by design that Gabriel's brother's name is Michael. Michael Hunt...Mike...wait a minute!

    Anyway, I gave it a big "meh," unfortunately. Gabe is kind of ordinary and lacks some much-needed defining characteristics. He's your typical "vanilla" hero.

    The prose is also slightly painful and the dialogue isn't that great. You can tell it was written pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got my copy yesterday,and don't know when I will get around to reading it. Things arn't looking good for it so far though! I have seen several reviews that give it the "meh" rating.

    I guess I will read it beforethe next one comes out so that I can decide whether to buy it or not.

    I will of course review it properly on the podcast when I get a chance.

    ReplyDelete