Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Misplaced paperback


I've had this book for a very long time (23 years to be exact). I bought it brand new in 1987.  I started to read it but I was distracted by something or other and just never got back to it.  Over the years I've spotted it as I moved, sorted, and re-sorted my books. I added neighbors to it- other books by Turtledove like Agent of Byzantium (which I enjoyed), the Worldwar series (which I enjoyed at first but then became bored with), and Conan of Venarium (which I absolutely hated). 
But I never returned to The Misplaced Legion. Until yesterday. This is a damn good book.  Good enough that I ordered the second book from Paperbackswap today. 
Turtledove's style doesn't fire my blood like Gemmell does but he is a scholar of Byzantine history and can mix his expertise with his prose very well.