Monday, September 06, 2010

Atlas comics may be coming back from the dead.

Back in the 70’s for a few brief months, DC and Marvel had a new challenger to contend with It was called Atlas Comics.  As a young comic geek at the time this was something totally new. The only thing competing with the two giants were Charlton (blah) and a shit load of weird ass underground comix about smoking weed and having sex in the back of a Chevy van.

images  So to walk into my old comics store and see a whole slew of characters blew me away. unfortunately Atlas only lasted for a few months and finally dried up. But it was a fun ride, and the memories are still with me.

blazingbattletales1 ironjaw_3 wulfthebarbarian_3 4pd2ted 6atwqw6 521a1zd

Now according this article from CBR. there is real talk of the Atlas properties seeing print again.  now if we can just get them to get the Amalgam characters into monthly books.

5 comments:

  1. I knew there was a sword and sorcery craze back then as evidence by two barbarian related titles. But I'm a bit surprised to see two war titles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gray - The 70's had quite a few War titles going starting with Sgt. Rock (classic Kubert art) and other DC titles like Blitzkrieg and Weird War.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess that's true, I just never payed them much mind I suppose.
    I see a supernatural title but no martial arts unless Lomax covers that, though it looks more like a police story thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Atlas had at least one martial arts title- Hands of the Dragon I think it was called.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any Blacksploitation heroes? Seems like the only thing missing.
    Thanks for posting these I'd never seen the Atlas stuff back in the day. At least not that I remember. If they do come back I'll check them out.

    ReplyDelete