Friday, August 26, 2005

G.I. Spy


I picked up a copy of Boom! Studios newest comic book G.I. Spy and I enjoyed it immensely. G.I. Spy is set in the late 1930’s and follows the adventures of US Army Intelligence agent Jack Shepherd, who travels the world on behalf of the US government to battle threats to national security. In the opening issue he is in the Belgian Congo where he and a British agent named Kaitlin Hunter uncover a secret Uranium mining operation being run by the Nazi’s. So there you have it, secret agents, hidden bases, and Nazis. Throw in some killer robots, high tech gadgets and Albert Einstein and you have the makings for a good old-fashioned “two-fisted” pulp adventure. What’s not to love? There are a few little nits; the biggest one is that the hero uses the word “cool”. I can forgive a lot, especially when reading a comic book, but c’mon lets try to stay in character, I'm sure with a little more thought the writer could have come up with something a little more in line with the dialogue of the era than “cool”. But all in all that’s my only nit to pick in an otherwise entertaining read. The website is slick and promises some great villains and more gadgets. G.I. Spy comes in on the high –end price wise at $3.99 an issue but you’re supporting a small publisher and there were no ads on every other page to interrupt the story, so for me it was money well spent. I heard some buzz from Comicon that the publishers were shopping the title to some studios for consideration; this would make a great Popcorn movie. I'm gonna start on a Jack Shepard action figure kit-bash this weekend, I'm thinking of using a Max Steele or one of the Lanard head sculpts, and go from there. The idea behind G.I. Spy isn’t too distant from my own vision of a Post WWII Adventure Team. As to gaming, the world of G.I. Spy would make a great campaign no matter what the system.

If you can't find a copy of G.I. Spy at your local comic dealer, you can find it online at Silver Bullet Comics.


No comments:

Post a Comment