Friday, September 01, 2006

Kicking and Screaming


About a week ago I attended a local D&D Meetup. There were about 4 tables worth of folks ranging from early 40’s to early 20’s and even a couple of honest to gawsh girls.
I wasn’t really prepared to play, I just wanted to scout it out and see what kind of turnout there was. On one hand I was please to see so many people, on the other I was dismayed to see that D&D3E was the only offering. I have dozens of games, quite a few I honestly haven’t played in years. I was hoping to find SOMEONE interested in say, a game of GURPS, CHILL or any kind of Pulp game. But all they wanted to play was D&D.

Later that evening I thought that maybe I’ll meet them halfway. So I posted that I would be willing to run a D20 game (Conan, Adventure, Masque of the Red Death, Mutants & Masterminds, Sidewinder, Etc,) at the next Meetup if there was any interest. Three days later I had 20+ views but no responses (the audacity of it all!). It looks like if I ever want to game again I need to get out of my Ivory Second Edition Tower and join the rest of Gamerdom at the 3rd edition altar.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found the same whenever coming across a potential gamer group, D&D 3.0 or 3.5 or nothing. In Columbus I posted I would run a Champions game, no interest. Here in SC I posted Mutants and Masterminds, thinking D20 would win them over, no response. D&D or nothing.

    ReplyDelete