Friday, June 13, 2008

Losing myself in a Lost World


My Lost World of Hador (LWOH) Project is taking up quite a bit of my writing time.
Which is a good thing.
The ideas are coming along at a nice pace and so far I haven’t suffered any writers block. I’m about 25% into the project. When I can't actually write I’m trying to absorb source material for inspiration.

I’m reading a lot of Edgar Rice Burroughs novels, adventure comics, Time/ Life books and I'm doing quite a bit of surfing on the net. The way Hador is developing I’ll be able to tackle both the “Lost world” and the “Sword & Planet” angles.

I read last week about Pinnacle Entertainment allowing publication of products using their Savage World brand, and the idea is intriguing. With World of Broadsword the focus was on Deep 7’s 1PG System, but since then, I’ve been leaning more towards producing content that can be used for any system.

Back in 1985 Hero games put out an excellent supplement for Lost World adventuring; it was called Lands of Mystery and was written by Aaron Allston. In it they gave conversion information for systems like Chill, Call of Cthulhu, and Daredevil. I’m toying with the idea of doing the same with LWOH.

I could use Deep 7 Dime heroes, open source efforts like Four Color, and ZeFRS, and possibly Savage Worlds. It all depends on how much hassle it all is, I’m more of a fluff guy than a rules cruncher. Of course the first thing is to get the manuscript written and then move on to what systems to apply it to.

4 comments:

  1. Let me be the first to put in my vote for you to develop some Savage Worlds stuff. That system is great and based on your work, I think your stuff is a perfect fit for SW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An easy way for the SW stuff, I think, would be to do the stats in a separate pdf, put the SW Fan license logo on the front and give it away for free. I'm not sure if that falls within the spirit of the license, but I can't really see why Pinnacle would have a problem with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:09 AM

    Another great system for Pulp is Spirit of the Century from Evil Hat Productions. As it is pretty rules-light a conversion shouldn't be to hard. (http://www.evilhat.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great suggestion for Savage Worlds!
    I'm on it!

    ReplyDelete