Thursday, February 26, 2009

24 years later-part I

(Nyrond

Sheila looked at the cold corpse of her brother.

How Bob had ever found her she would never know. The years had been rough on them all but poor Bobby seemed to have taken it the hardest. It was over twenty years since she'd seen him last, since they all parted ways. She'd heard rumor that Bobby and Uni had been captured by Goblins in the Pomarj. Bobby escaped. Uni didn’t. Ever since then Bob had been on the skids, drinking heavily and on the lotus. Sheila had run into Di a few years ago at a tavern in Furyondy. Diana had said Bob was working as an enforcer for some Low life Half-Orc pimp in Hardby. That was the last Sheila had heard of him. Until last night. He showed up at her apartment. Strung out and babbling. She almost didn’t recognize him. And he couldn’t have shown up at a worse time. She had finally found a buyer for the jewels from the Skelos job. Some fool of a merchant from Greyhawk with more money than sense was meeting her that very night. So she sat Bobby down gave him some food and a bottle and told him to sit tight, she'd be back before dawn. He actually wanted to come along as if he could be of any help, same old Bobby.

When she got back to her place in the morning she found the door ajar. With dagger in hand she pushed the door with her soft boot and entered. Nothing appeared out of place, except for Bobby, lying on her blood-soaked bed with his throat slit from ear to ear.

To be Continued.

7 comments:

  1. No Uni????

    This is great... very inspired :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice tie-in with Greyhawk. Greyhawk was my original setting of choice. Reading this mashup of Greyhawk with the characters from the D&D cartoon was fun. I'm curious about which time period in Greyhawk's history this all occurs? Is the Flanaess on the verge of the Greyhawk Wars? Is it post-war Flanaess, and by how many years? Are the raids from the Pomarj creeping closer to the City of Greyhawk?

    I look forward to reading more.

    On a side note, I was actually tempted to use Greyhawk for my Savage Worlds campaign (I'm a recent SW convert), but I chose to adopt Eberron instead. I find Eberron captures the high-action pulp tropes a bit better than Greyhawk. Greyhawk is still good for grittier high fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dungeons and Dragons Noir, huh? There's something you don't see every day. It will be entertaining to see where this goes.

    Dropping the sibling relationship between Bobby and Sheila is an interesting change. I'm curious to see what other alterations are made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys.

    I saw a post on an action figure board where someone had done a set of these characters using Marvel legend figures. Then I got the urge to do an older version of the characters in 1/6 scale (which will be in a future post). And then this came to me last night. And I couldn't sleep until I got it down.

    Thanks for the tip on Bobby and Sheila, Aaron. I missed that. It's been quite a few years.

    Amaril, To me D&D is Greyhawk. Almost all may campaigns were set there. This story will be set after the "Greyhawk wars" But be gentle on me if I get stuff wrong from time to time, I'm not one of those "Greyhawk Scholars" whose job seems to be to correct everybody. I'm just a guy who likes to play D&D.

    More next Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm no Greyhawk scholar, either. In fact, I stay away from Canonfire for the same reason. I only picked up Greyhawk when I started playing and running 3e. I found the publishing history and story chronology to be too much (not as bad as Forgotten Realms). It was one reason why I switched to Eberron.

    Eberron, to me, was a fresh start, a simpler campaign history, lacking in arguments over canon, and built for the current edition of the rules rather than inundated with setting elements based on old rules.

    In any case, I agree that Greyhawk defines what traditional D&D should feel like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm no Greyhawk scholar, either. In fact, I stay away from Canonfire for the same reason. I only picked up Greyhawk when I started playing and running 3e. I found the publishing history and story chronology to be too much (not as bad as Forgotten Realms)

    I think I'll just refer to the setting as "The Evil DM's Greyhawk" and call it good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No problem. Honestly, I thought that you'd made the change intentionally, for the sake of the story.

    But I suspect that even unintentional changes due to the passage of time can't be any worse than the weirdness that they came up with when they statted out the kids in 3/3.5 rules for the DVD set. (How the hell does an 8 year-old rate a 15 Strength - without the club?)

    ReplyDelete