Saturday, September 22, 2007

Art for LoS

“Legends of Steel” is about done.
I’m having a hell of a time getting art for it though.
My buddy, Jeff Hebert is the only confirmed artist I have on the project so far. Last week I sent out over a dozen or so inquiries and received TWO responses. I’m not sure what the problem is, I have a budget (it’s small, but it’s something) for this so I’m not asking for free stuff. Either the project is too small or there’s a lot of work out there for artists. From all the whining I see on the comic art forums I don’t think it’s the latter. I’m even considering using some stock art for interior illustrations, stuff like ruins, sword, vistas etc. but I really want to get some nice ½ or ¼ page black and white line art. I can’t for the life of me find anyone local so I’m forced to go through the net. We have plenty of artists here in Sacramento but not the style I’m looking for.In doing my research it turns out all the cool artists I want are in the Philippines.
Here’s what I need.





I don't expect to be able to afford a Frank Brunner or a Darren Goodacre but if I can just find a couple of artists that at least draw in that style I'd be happy. Right now I'm just a bit frustrated.
If any of you know of anyone that draws in this style please drop me a line.

4 comments:

  1. Hello, my husband reads your blog, and he told me you were looking for a fantasy artist. I have a gallery here that showcases some of my fantasy work. If you're interested, you can e-mail me at loritheknife@gmail.com, I'm more than happy to send you samples that would be more in the vein of Frazetta styled sword and sorcery.
    Hope to hear from you soon.
    Thanks
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:37 PM

    Hey Jeff,

    This is Rumcove from the Zefrs Forum. I'm willing to help you out, in whatever style you need.

    Send me a message over there if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:40 PM

    hello, I am interested in submitting artwork. If you are inerested, I could email you some samples. please contact me at chrischieffer@gmail.com, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude. I feel for you. I'm an artist myself and I can tell you we are a pain in the ass to work with sometimes. We can't always help it; it's part of our personalities. However, a real pro will deliver on time. My advice would be, don't pay until delivery. But pay promptly once you get a finished piece. If the artist wants an advance, he or she can simply finish a quick piece and get partial payment that way. Also, ask to see rough sketches first so you can have input into the look of the finished piece. I don't know if I have anything that would be useful to you, but I'll try to send you some of my work later on tonight. You can have anything out of it you want for free. I'm not a fantasy artist by training, but some of my stuff is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete