Sunday, September 30, 2007

Sgt. Rock and his Howling Commandos??






Surfing the web for inspiration and research material for “Mission: Adventure!” I ran across a blast from the past:

Back in the 90’s Marvel and DC teamed up and had some fun with their characters by creating a fictitious company called Amalgam Comics. Each company then took some of their hottest respective properties and melded them together to create whole new characters in a alternate- alternate universe. Some of the titles worked remarkably well, others not so much. But it was a fun experiment. I bought a few titles the other day-$.99 for a lot of six. They arrived on Friday and I’ve been reading them over the weekend. Great fun. Issues of the Amalgams are plentiful on EBay and there are several auctions where you can score multiple titles for less than five bucks.




4 comments:

  1. Amazon looks interesting. I love Terry Austin's work. John Byrne is obviously good. Most of the time, anyway. Thorion interests me as well, but who thought Asgods was a good idea.

    I was working at a comic shop when those came out and yet I never looked at any of them. One only has so much time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought all those back when they came out. There was a follow-up event as well. One of the few examples of a big comics event that I can get behind and one of the few well-done company crossovers I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:47 AM

    Asgods makes perfect sense if you read it right: The New-ass Gods. As in, not your broke-down old-ass gods, but these here New-Ass Gods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always had a problem with the Amalgam stories because some of the combinations felt really forced... okay, all of them to me. I would have preferred to see an amalgam universe where the characters were themselves, but existing side by side (The Justice League with DC and Marvel characters, so on and so forth)

    ReplyDelete