Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Doc Rotwang Strikes Again!

The other day over at Doc Rotwangs blog  He wrote a simple passage about a game I hadn't really thought about in years. 



He didn't post too much about it, actually it was just more of a reminiscence than anything, but it got me thinking  (which he often does, despite his sparse posting). The Star Wars game would be a nice introduction to Space Opera gaming for the Minions.  They play Basic D&D, but we haven't strayed into the space lanes yet.  
I was watching George Lucas on the Daily Show where he was saying that despite the protestations of the Old Guard, todays batch of Star Wars geeks have their own favorite characters, and they ain't Han, Luke, or Chewy. 
Kids actually like Jar-Jar Binks (which I know for a fact to be true, having tiny minions of my own).
My Minions know the Clone Wars on TV they could care less for Obi-Wan and Princess Lea. 




So I'm gonna dust off my copy of the 1st edition rules ( I have the rulebook and the Star Wars source book). And see what other sources I can find out there. 
I hear the 2nd edition -Revised and Expanded edition is the one to have, but for now I'm gonna keep it simple for both me and my guys. 
I know as well that WOTC has a version out there, but my goal is cost containment and ease of play for the little ones.


But I will put a call out to any of you guys who have any first edition material your not using (modules etc.) if you want to toss them my way I'll pay postage. I promise they will go to a good cause (Warping young minds).

4 comments:

  1. I remember the West End Games Star Wars fondly. I played this Jedi who actually deflected a lightsaber with a simple staff (the Force Die was certainly strong with him).

    Sadly, I don't think I have any of that old stuff left, as it probably got lost in our last move. Now that I think about it, I think it was all second edition stuff anyway, so it's kind of a moot point.

    Regardless, good luck and may the Force be with your minions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a LOT of stuff out for that edition of the game. I vaguely recall the 2nd edition, but if I remember correctly, it was mostly interchangeable (think 1st edition vs 2nd edition AD&D).

    The very earliest of modules for the game were crap, but they got better quickly. Many of the sourcebooks were also excellent. Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters was 13 kinds of pure awesome, at least if you were a Han Solo fan.
    Copies of it, along with several other sourcebooks, are going for $50-$60 on eBay these days. It says a great deal about the quality of the writing.

    Have fun with it- I'm sure the minions and yourself are in for a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, my heirs are all about the Clone Wars. When I talk about Star Wars, I talk about Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker. Not some punk named Anakin. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With both you and Dr Rotwang reminiscing, I'm going to have to break out the D6 Star Wars soon!

    And forget about the WOTC stuff for rules,having played every SW version I've found, d6 was much better... although there are some good story ideas in their dark side sourcebook and rebellion era sourcebook.

    ReplyDelete