Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Today was a great Goodwill day!

I did the Goodwill thing today and I happened along quite a few treasures.


First off, to add to my vintage TSR collection we have Hunt for Red October. Has anyone played this? any opinion on it? I bought it simply for the fact that it was a TSR product.





I picked up the Dragonstrike game for the same reason. However this one didn't have the VHS cassette in it.  Still for the price it's worth it for the miniatures and fixin's







Now this one made me do a double take when I saw it on the shelves. I was gonna pass but then I noticed it was only .99 cents. Hell for ninety nine cents I figured it was worth it even as a joke present (it was unopened and still in the cellophane). Imagine my surprise when I got it home and read up on the history of this bad boy. In fact, it's listed on Google as selling anywhere from $50-$200 bucks.  Like I said, today was a great Goodwill day.



Then I ran across this set of Battlestar Galactica paperbacks- now I dont read this series myself but I was willing to bet there was a fan boy over at Paperbackswap who would scoop these up, thereby earning me some credits. I was right these were spoken for within 15 minutes of posting them there. The Han Solo book is for me.






Here is a Frankenstein anthology. the deal maker for picking up this big boy is a short story by Karl Edward Wagner is included. Sold!



I had no idea that Hustler Magazine even had a paperback book publishing arm. Of course it's naughty Sci Fi, what other type do you think Hustler would publish?  But hey, for the oddness factor it was worth $1.50




All the rest of these are just great buys!





12 comments:

  1. I have GOT to start checking out Goodwill. Great finds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Space Whores!? Awesome! I have a Goodwill down the street. I have GOT to hit that place up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ghettopoly! Space Whores! Man you live near a truly kick-ass Goodwill!

    Great flurry of recent posts. I hadn't caught up since the one on no-spam and it's great to see the energy here. Chock full of good and entertaining thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have those Tros books, but I didn't realize there were that many Battlestar galactica books. I've never read one. I should.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The KEW story in the Frankenstein anthology is "Undertow", which oddly enough is a Kane tale. (it deals with resurrection, though, so it fits the theme - just barely.)

    My brother had the BSG books, but I never read any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hunt for Red October was a pretty fun, very light wargame. Not unlike GDW's old "Harpoon Captain's Edition", the introductory boardgame version of the ultimate naval miniatures wargame.

    In Red October, you move pieces representing nuclear subs, surface ships, and aircraft around a board representing the North Atlantic. The naval and air units have ratings for their anti-air, anti-sub, and surface-to-surface (or air-to-surface) weapon systems, and can accumulate damage based on combat results. The scenarios depict the broad storyline of the novel, with a Soviet Typhoon sub attempting to escape to the west. The best scenario however is based more on the "Red Storm Rising" novel, where US convoys most cross the North Atlantic to reinforce Europe during WW3. That scenario basically uses every piece in the game and it was loads of fun. Soviet bomber wings from the Kola peninsula hunting carrier battle groups in the GIUK gap! Nuclear subs stalking merchant ships and amphibious groups!

    Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clearly your local Goodwill is much cooler than mine. All I ever find amidst the avalanche of historic romance novels is the occasional H. Beam Piper book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:37 AM

    The Hell? All I ever see at Goodwill and the local thrift stores is broken slobbered on toys and moth eaten old clothes that went out of style when Simon Le Bons balls dropped.

    In short I envy you sir. The community I live in is apparently made up of a group of damn dirty apes who don't know any better than to sell their old rpgs and books on Ebay, or have their parents torch then in a fit of evangelical fury.

    So it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. p.s. - I concur - you have a freakin' kick-ass Goodwill store...

    ReplyDelete
  10. For all those people thinking about hitting up their local Goodwill for awesome swag, I give you this warning. The Evil DM's Goodwill is one of mythical status. Every time I go to a Goodwill, I end up finding smelly clothes and furniture, broken toys, and fifty copies of Chicken Soup for the Scrapbooker's Soul.

    Just wanted to throw that bit of advice out there. Look for the best, expect the worst.

    I am so jealous of you, man.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous11:37 AM

    Mine is more like the mildew/Harlequin emporiums already described above. But I did snag a BattleMasters game for $2 at a Goodwill in Columbus, OH and the boardgame Pirateers at my store. So it may be worth looking once in a while. Also the cast-off and broken toys often have some potential for spare parts and scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous11:44 AM

    The Hunt for Red October was good--but not great. My major beef with the game is not the scenarios (which were often inspired) or the rules, (which were solid) but rather that it's somewhat hard for a boardgame to mimic the critical fact that lack of information drives naval warfare. if I know where your ships are... well... that's not in keeping either with reality, or with the Red Storm Rising novel, where the focg of war is a critical plot point.

    Red Storm Rising, the companion game however, that was awesome.

    ReplyDelete