Saturday, January 26, 2008

"May all your dreams - but one - come true."




David Gemmell’s last novel Troy: Fall of Kings has been released. David passed away last summer, before finishing it so the story was completed by Stella Gemmell his wife.

Reading this book is going to be a bittersweet experience for me. I usually get an electric charge when I get my hands on a new Gemmell story, but knowing this is the last Gemmell story makes me hesitant to read it. If I read it then there will be no more, if I don’t read it then there will always be one left to read.

In any event, if there are any of you out there who have yet to read a story by David Gemmell, please do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of “Legend”. If you are a fan of heroic fiction or you just like a well told tale, Legend is a must read.





My thanks to The Cimmerian for a heads up on this great article about David Gemmell from the Wall Street Journal.

4 comments:

  1. Gemmell is my favorite storyteller, and I most certainly shed a few tears when I heard the news. I haven't started the Troy books because I'm saving them. Don't think I'm ready to go there, anyway.

    Gemmell's in my literary pantheon with Howard, Leiber, and Moorcock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought Legend in 1982 (the year it was first published) and I have been reading each new Gemmell book as it was published since then.

    I had the privilege to meet David Gemmmell several times at book signings in Birmingham (UK), and he was a real gentleman.

    When I heard about his death I was just preparing to read the second Troy novel. I could not face it at the time so I I still have two un-read Gemmell books. I think I am about ready to read them now.

    David Gemmell is and will always be in my top two authors along with Robert E. Howard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:13 AM

    I know the name... but not the books. I'll have to look into getting these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dane of War
    I know the name... but not the books. I'll have to look into getting these.

    As a reader of your blog Dane, I think you will enjoy his stories.
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete