Saturday, January 19, 2008

The State of the Lair



Computer
I picked up another 160GB HD today. I also bought a 2GB pocket flash drive, some antivirus software, and spy ware protection. The new drive will hold all my system stuff and the old drive will be for files and such. I have lots of room now, but I’ll soon rectify that!
I’m hoping that “She who must be obeyed” will soon let me take my nuts down off the wall where she stapled them after the crash, but I’m not pushing it.
I’ll be looking into this thing they call “backing up” as well.

Star Frontiers PBEM
One guy left my PBEM, and he was integral to the story, so I’ll have to see how that goes. Between the holidays and the crash I’m sure the guys in my game feel a bit abandoned, hopefully we can salvage something from it.

Broadsword
Before the crash I was puttering along with the Broadsword expansion. The expansion itself is done, but James wanted three scenarios. I was halfway through completing the first when the crash happened. So I have to wrap my head around that again.

Legends of Steel
My work on Legends of Steel continues, the players section is done and the GM part is almost done. One of the artists I hired hasn’t responded to any emails since before Christmas. I paid her for a couple of pieces of art but haven’t seen or heard anything from her.

Mission Adventure
One of the guys looking over LoS is really pushing me to try writing “Mission: Adventure!” with the LoS rules-set rather than the FASERIP (Aka: four-color) system. He makes a good argument, since I have a system engine in place why use a different one? The LoS engine was primarily built around a low tech campaign, all I need to do is develop firearm, and vehicle rules, swap out magic for Psionics, and add some more contemporary skills.

ZeFRS
I’m really intrigued by this idea of using ZeFRS as the engine for an alternate earth campaign world set in the “Dark Ages”. I found a great deal on EBay for a run of Arak comics and found some more at the local comic store for 50% off. Thanks as well to those of you who wrote in with book tips and suggestions.


Gen Con
One of my favorite quotes is: “If you ever want give God a good laugh, tell him your plans”. Gen Con ain’t gonna happen this year.
After the car wreck I was out of work for almost three months. Not only out of work but out of car as well. Add in the holiday expenses and things were getting a little dicey here at the Lair. I’m back at work, and we are slowly climbing our way out of past due notices, but Gen Con is an extravagance that wont be realized this year. The medical bills are still being incurred and they are being paid, but we are a ways away from any talk of settlement, so for now we just tighten the belt and soldier on, as my littlest minion would say: “Suck it up like Conan daddy!”




7 comments:

  1. AAAAH! Pick a color scheme and leave it alooooooooooooone!

    Glad your computron's back up to performance, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does this color scheme make my ass look fat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee Jeffy, truth be told, I kinda miss the black background..it added a moody vibe that supported the whole "lair" thing..

    This new colour scheme is nice from a design perspective..but it says "brunch" to me more than "lair" :P

    I am very happy you got a new computer and things are slowly moving forward, I do hope your settlement goes well..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the black better as well but for some reason I can't get the lettering to show up. the only color that works is black lettering and that doesn't show up on a black background.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say thee..YAY! to the grey!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:10 AM

    Computer:
    Glad you're getting it sorted. But, ya know, you didn't have to pay for Anti-virus and anti-spyware stuff. There's really, really good freeware for that. That's all I use and I've never had the slightest problem w/ any kind of malware (knock on wood).
    Personally, I use:
    Anti-virus: AVG 7.5 Free
    Anti-spyware: SpyBot, AdAware, AVG AntiSpyware and HijackThis! to be able to dig out a problem that's already there and I can't get otherwise.
    Anti-rootkits: Panda AntiRootkit and Sophos Blacklight Rootkit Eliminator
    Additional monitoring: ThreatFire
    Firewall: Comodo Firewall Pro 3

    And that's all freeware.

    Now, you can't have multiple anti-virus, but it behooves you to have redundant anti-spyware tools, as they will find stuff that the others may not.

    At any rate, I'm glad you're generally on the road upwards in most things it seems. Things were all about the suck for a while and I'm happy to see less suck.

    I mean... oh, heck, you know what I mean.

    -ERIC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best of luck, TEDM. Glad to hear that the light at the end of the tunnel isn't looking like an on-coming train.

    ReplyDelete