Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Its a long, long way from home


My recovery from the two surgeries in September continues. I have physical therapy several times a week and follow-up visits with my doctor. Some days are better than others in dealing with the pain. I still can’t sit for longer than 20 minutes at a time, which really isn’t conducive to being a writer. Fortunately, with the notebook I am able to change positions and write while lying down. According to my physician and therapists the recovery is going well, especially since I am doing it without pain meds. I decided against using medication after the withdrawal symptoms that I went through from the Morphine in the hospital.

My activity is really limited because, from what I understand, now that the artificial disc is in place I have to allow bone to grow over it naturally, which creates the “Fusion” part of the procedure. If that is compromised in any way, then all of this will be for nothing and I’ll probably be in even worse shape, so it’s a long road to recovery.

6 comments:

  1. Glad to hear things are going well (morphine is a bitch) and hope everything continues to heal and recover well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, at least the first steps are taken. I hope improvement comes swiftly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're doing well. I had kidney stones last year and they gave me a bunch of of pain killers--probably the same ones you've been on--and I hated every minute of them. You know what worked like a charm? Iburofen. Over the counter. 600mgs. That was RX strength and no nasty side-effects.

    Good luck with your recovery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey get better Jeff. I know first hand that prescription drugs have nasty side effect. Just read the warnings that come with them. Sometimes the cure is worse then the symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speedy recovery!!! I had spine surgery for a tumor and I understand the pain, it ain't fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a lot guys. Trying to keep it all in perspective.

    ReplyDelete