Thursday, November 26, 2009

On the path


My Buddy Mike M. has finally convinced me to try Pathfinder. There is no real reason not to. I had a beef with WOTC about all that 3.0 /3.5 edition bullshit. But that was years ago and Paizo, the creators of Pathfinder had nothing to do with all that. so what the hell, I'll give it a shot. I gave Mike two conditions:

1) I play. I don't DM

2) We do something in an Arabian setting.

Now I just have to come up with the scratch to buy the book. I have the PDF. But Mike came over the other day and showed me the book. Now I NEED to have it.

5 comments:

  1. It's a gorgeous thing, isn't it? Bit of a pity they cast Mai Shiranui as the sorceror, but other than that I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kind of in the same boat as you, Jeff. I got sick and tired of both 3rd and 3.5 Edition (I won't even touch 4th Edition), but I gave this one a shot. Like I said in one of my posts, it's not Savage Worlds, but it's pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paizo really did a bang-up job on Pathfinder, they're new books are gorgeous. That said, I've kept to just a few items here or there that I can cleve material from for mainly retro-clone rules sets (like Swords and Wizardry).

    4E isn't that bad. I'm really not a fan of some of the new races, but the rules themselves are actually quite fast and easy in play. Some people don't like 'powers' but if you let go of the notion you're still playing D&D you hardly notice little things like that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:14 AM

    As an oldschooler I convinced myself that Pathfinder is a retro-clone of 3.5, so I had to buy it. The book is awesome and the classes are very well developed.

    Using the Necromancer Games 3.5 character sheet that looks like the old AD&D character sheet sold the group, too.

    I will say that throwing together a game of Labyrinth Lord for me takes about twenty minutes. Scratching my head over a goblin's stat block in Pathfinder takes about 45 minutes. :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been debating this one. I mean, I've already got the 3.5 rules and a foot-high stack of supplements. I agree that the Pathfinder books are pretty-- but are the rules changes enough to justify the purchase?

    ReplyDelete